Event FAQ


Planning an Event 

Do I require public liability insurance?

YES. All public events taking place on Council-managed land or facilities must hold the appropriate level of insurance before it will be permitted to proceed. Public Liability Insurance with an Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) approved insurer with a minimum of $20,000,000 coverage is required.

What should be included in my site plan?

Your site plan should include:

  • Amenities (including existing toilet facilities, including disability access and any additional facilities
  • Crowd control infrastructure
  • Drinking water access
  • Emergency Access
  • Food and beverage stalls
  • Licensed areas
  • Liquor and merchandise stalls
  • Parking
  • Pedestrian & vehicle access routes
  • Power and/or generators
  • Seating
  • Smoking/non-smoking area
  • Staging
  • Waste and recycling bins

Course plans for event activities are also required if you are cycling or running outside of your event village.

What should be included in my Risk Management Plan?

Your Risk Management Plan should include:

  • Event Details
  • Stakeholders
  • Consequence and likelihood of descriptors
  • Action response plans
  • Risk Matrix Analysis

Risk Management Template

What should be included in my Event Management Plan?

An Event Management Plan defines how an event will be executed. It addresses all the components of an event such as:

  • Event goals and objectives
  • Event details & schedule of all activities including bump in and bump out times
  • Detailed waste management plan & objectives
  • Internal & exteral permits
  • Event budget
  • Marketing and promotion
  • Communication
  • Traffic Management
  • Key Stakeholders
  • Food and drink vendors
  • Emergency Management

Small Event Template / Large Event Template

What should be included in my Emergency Management Plan?

Your emergency management plan should include any actions which are to be undertaken by the management team in case of an emergency or incident. Please consider the following and include your action response plan:

  • Inclement weather (wind, heavy rain, extreme heat, storms)
  • Emergency Meeting Point
  • Evacuation plan
  • Emergency communication protocol and method
  • Emergency management personnel & contact details (eg event coordinator, event safety officer, first aid officer)
  • Incident reporting process

Am I required to notify Emergency Services of my event?

YES. It is a requirement that you notify Ambulance Victoria, Country Fire Authority (CFA) and Victoria Police. Please include this information in your event management plan.

Am I required to have First Aid Officers present at my event?

The Alpine Shire is a regional area with limited resources. Event organisers cannot rely primarily on ambulance services, local medical centres or hospitals in the event of a medical emergency. Depending on the size, type and location of your event, you may be required to have a First Aid provider on site. Please note, event organisers who engage First Aid services, must only use a licensed First Aid provider. The Department of Health has published a list of licensed First Aid Providers on its website. Engaging an unlicensed First Aid provider carries additional risk to public safety, and may affect insurance cover for events. Authorised Officers employed by the Department of Health may visit an event at any time to ensure that the First Aid provider in attendance is licensed.

Can I use single use plastics at my event?

NO. As of February 1st, 2023, retailers, wholesalers and manufacturers are banned from the sale or supply of single use plastics in Victoria. Please ensure you are communicating this with your vendors.

Can I use existing rubbish bins for rubbish generated by my event?

Any fixed waste and recycling bins at the event site are for public use. Although we don’t explicitly exclude you from using them, they should not be used as your primary waste and recycling bins. Event bins will need to be arranged by the event organiser, through Council.

Can I hire additional waste and recycling bins for my event?

YES, the Alpine Shire Council can assist you with waste and recycling bins for your event. Costs associated with bin hire will be on-charged to the event organiser.

Can I use existing council amenities during my event?

YES, you are more than welcome to use existing amenities. However, please be advised that if you are using Council amenities such as public toilets, and they require additional cleans during or following your event, then a cleaning fee will be charged to the event organiser and an invoice will be raised following the event. The same will apply if the amenities are not left in a reasonable condition post event. This will be determined by the cleaning contractor and invoiced accordingly.

Am I required to hire portable toilets for my event?

It is a requirement of your event that you have adequate toilet facilities for your patrons. You are welcome to use the amenities on site, however depending on attendee numbers, you may be required to hire additional portable toilets. You can use the link below to calculate how many toilets you may need for your event. If your event takes place in a temporary structure such as a marquee, the number of toilets provided must comply with the ABCB Temporary Structure Standard 2015.

Provision of toilets

Do I require a Traffic Management Plan for my event?

If your event requires road closures or altered traffic conditions to Council-managed roads or footpaths, then you will be required to submit a Traffic Management Plan by a qualified traffic management company no later than 3 months before the event is due to take place. Submit your completed Traffic Management Plan here.

Any roads managed by VicRoads must be permitted by VicRoads.

It is a requirement that all road closures are advertised locally. If your event involves a road closure and/or impacts the public transport network, the Alpine Shire Council is required to advertise these details. Please include a resident notification letter with your application, outlining your event and any road closures or altered traffic conditions.

Do I require a VicRoads Permit?

Any event impacting a VicRoads-managed road or needing an exemption from Road Rules (e.g. road race or parade) must apply for a VicRoads permit. Signage placed on a VicRoads-managed road will require approval from VicRoads by submitting a Memorandum of Authorisation (MoA). VicRoads‐managed roads within the Alpine Shire include:

  • Great Alpine Road
  • Gavan Street
  • Delaney Avenue
  • Tawonga Gap Road
  • Prince Street
  • Myrtleford‐Yackandandah Road
  • Myrtle Street
  • Standish Street
  • Happy Valley Road
  • Kiewa Valley Highway
  • Bogong High Plains Road
  • Mount Buffalo Road
  • Buffalo River Road

VicRoads requires a complete permit application to be submitted at least 90 days prior to the event commencing.

As per VicRoads checklist documentation such as an Event Management Plan, including a Traffic Management Plan, Risk Management Plan and a copy of the Certificate of Currency will be required. Permits are processed at ner.enquiries@roads.vic.gov.au or the centralised Melbourne office vicroadsmetromoa@road.vic.gov.au.

For more information about events on VicRoads CLICK HERE

Do I require a Place of Public Entertainment Permit (POPE)?

A POPE is required for events with:

  • An area greater than 500 square metres, which is substantially enclosed and where admission is charged
  • Class 9b buildings with an area greater than 500 square meters and or prescribed temporary structures

POPE permit application

For up to date POPE fees please CLICK HERE and scroll down to What do other building services cost, then down to Place of Public Entertainment.

You may be eligible for a discount cost if you are a not-for-profit community event. Please contact events@alpineshire.vic.gov.au.

Do I require a Temporary Occupancy (TOP) Permit?

A Temporary Occupancy Permit (TOP) is required for events that include:

  • Tents, marquees or booths with a floor area greater than 100m square
  • Terraced seating (seating stands) for more than 20 persons, and/or
  • Prefabricated buildings exceeding 100m square other than ones placed directly on the ground

TOP application 

For up to date TOP fees please CLICK HERE and scroll down to What do other building services cost, then down to Temporary Structures.

Do I require a signage permit to advertise my event?

If you intend to place advertising signage on a footpath, roadside or on Council land outside of the event precinct, a portable advertising signage permit will be required.

Signage Permit

Where can I advertise my event?

We will automatically list your event on the Alpine Shire website. Please email us through at least 1 high-res image and a short blurb about your event.

We also encourage you to list your event through the Australian Tourism Data Warehouse (ATDW). Your event will then display on Visit Victoria and Visit Bright. This listing is free for events. CLICK HERE for more information about creating a listing. We can assist you with this if required.

Am I required to notify surrounding businesses and residents of my event?

If your event involves a road closure, altered traffic conditions and/or impacts the public transport network, the Alpine Shire Council is required to advertise these details. Please include a resident notification letter with your application, outlining your event and any road closures or altered traffic conditions.

Venue Hire

What venues and facilities are available to hire?

Council manages bookings for seven facilities in the Alpine Shire. Please click here to view our range of facilities.
If your desired venue is outside of these 7 facilities, please contact the venue directly.

What is included in my venue hire?

Each venue has different inclusions. Please refer to the facility user guide relevant to your venue.

Where do I collect the keys for a venue?

Keys can be arranged to be collected from the relevant Visitor Information Centre during opening hours.

When do I pay for the hire fees and charges of a facility?

Facilities must be booked and paid for directly online at the time of booking.

Do I need to include my bump in and bump out time (set up/pack up time) in the booking duration?

Yes, you need to factor in your set up and pack down times into your booking.

Can I use existing bins for rubbish generated by my event?

Yes, there are standard sized rubbish bins located within each of our facilities. However, depending on the size of your event, you may require additional 140L waste and recycling bins. Please specify your bin requirements on your event permit application.

How much time do I need to allow to book my facility?

Facility bookings open 12 months in advance. It is best to book your facility as soon as you have firmed up your event date. If you wish to book outside of 12 months, please contact the Events Team.

Applying for an Event Permit

What if I don’t have all my documentation on hand, can I still submit my event permit application? 

Yes. You can upload your supporting documentation at a later stage once you have it on hand. Please ensure you are submitting your initial application on time, as per the timeframes outlined in the Planning an event section above. Late applications will not be accepted.

How do I apply for an event permit? 

Event permit applications can be made via the online portal. We are no longer accepting PDF applications.

Apply for a permit

Rate this page