From time to time road works and/or large projects require the partial or complete closure of roads within the Alpine Shire.
This also applies to events held within the Shire. The information below outlines any upcoming road closures of which residents and/or visitors should be aware.
Visit VicRoads for all up-to-date road closures. Emergencies can quickly result in the closure of roads - before you travel, ensure your route is clear.
Use multiple sources to stay informed
- VicEmergency Hotline - freecall 1800 226 226
- VicEmergency app
- Facebook or Twitter (#vicfires)
- Tune in to ABC Local Radio, commercial and designated community radio stations, or Sky News TV.
- A full list of Official Emergency Broadcasters is available online at VicEmergency
Changes to traffic conditions
Asphalt road resurfacing works will be carried out at locations in Myrtleford, Porepunkah and Bright from Sunday, 27 November to Wednesday, 30 November 2022 (weather permitting).
Works will be carried out at:
- Clyde Street / Queen Street intersection, Myrtleford – Sunday, 27 November
- Service Street / Station Street Roundabout, Porepunkah – Monday, 28 November to Wednesday, 30 November
- Wilson Court, Bright – Wednesday, 30 November
The works area will be under traffic control between 7am and 7pm on the relevant, with minimal delays expected during construction.
No full road closures are anticipated. Local residents living in the area will have access to their property but there may be some delays.
Vehicle owners are requested to please ensure cars are not parked on street during these work times.
Dargo High Plains Road
- The Dargo High Plains Road seasonal closure will be extended until Friday, 23 December 2022 to allow for major upgrade works.
- Works will include road formation upgrades, gravel re-sheeting, culvert and drainage.
- It is anticipated that current weather conditions may delay the commencement of works and traffic management will be in place after Friday, 23 December while the remaining works are carried out.
- Please expect minor delays once the road is open.
- The current estimated completion date for the Dargo High Plains Road Upgrade Project is March 31, 2023.
Bogong High Plains Road
Bogong High Plains Road is currently closed between Falls Creek Village and Mount Beauty due to a landslide. Access to Falls Creek Village is via Glen Valley only.
Refer to VicRoads for the most up-to-date information on this closure.
Remembrance Day, Bright
Friday 11 November 2022 from 10.30am to approximately 11.30am
No vehicle access to Mafeking Square (clock tower roundabout)
Bright Lights Winter Nights
Friday 25 November 2022 from 12pm to approximately 10pm
Burke Street will be closed between Railway Avenue and the clocktower roundabout
2022 Tour of Bright
The Tour of Bright cycling event will be held on roads throughout the Shire between Saturday 3rd of December and Sunday 4th of December 2022.
Motorists are advised that there will be an increased number of cyclists using roads throughout the area. Delays are expected. Please drive safely
SATURDAY 3rd December 2022
Stage 1 – Gaps Loop
The following roads will be closed from 9 am to 1.30 pm:
- Tawonga Gap
- Pioneer Park entry at Coronation Avenue closed
The following roads will be affected by increased cyclists:
- Coronation Avenue, Bright
- Churchill Avenue, Bright
- Great Alpine Road between Churchill and Tawonga Gap Turnoff, Bright
Stage 2 -Time Trials
The following roads will be affected by increased cyclists 2 pm to approximately 6.00 pm:
- Morses Creeks Road to Martins Bridge, Wandiligong
- Coronation Ave, Bright
SUNDAY 4th DECEMBER 2022
Stage 3 – Mt Buffalo
There will be a road race stage from Bright to Dingo Dell on Mt Buffalo.
The uphill lane road closures will be in place from 8.30 am to approximately 12.00pm from the Great Alpine Road between Porepunkah and Mount Buffalo.
Alpine Classic - Cycling Event
The event is in progress during the following times and at the location listed below (note no road closures, please take care on roads with cyclists)
Friday 27th January 2023
B500 Great Alpine Rd between Bright and Omeo 6:30 am to 5:00 pm (low traffic)
Saturday 28th January 2023
500 Great Alpine Rd between Bright and Omeo 4:00 am – 8:00 pm
B500 Great Alpine Rd between Porepunkah and Germantown 4:00 am – 8:00 pm
C536 Tawonga Gap Rd 6:30 am – 2:00pm
C535 Mt Buffalo Rd between Porepunkah and Dingo Dell 4:00 am-11.30 am
Road and Bridge Works
Council has a regular schedule of road and bridge management works to ensure the Alpine Shire's vital infrastructure is maintained, along with a number of major road and bridge projects. Contact Council's Asset Maintenance team for more information.
Bogong High Plains Road and Dargo High Plains Road
The Bogong High Plains and Dargo High Plains roads are subject to seasonal closures.
Refer to VicRoads for the most up-to-date information on these roads.