From time to time road works and/or large projects require the partial or complete closure of roads within the Alpine Shire.
This also applies to events held within the Shire. The information below outlines any upcoming road closures of which residents and/or visitors should be aware.
Visit VicRoads for all up-to-date road closures. Emergencies can quickly result in the closure of roads - before you travel, ensure your route is clear.
Use multiple sources to stay informed
- VicEmergency Hotline - freecall 1800 226 226
- VicEmergency app
- Facebook or Twitter (#vicfires)
- Tune in to ABC Local Radio, commercial and designated community radio stations, or Sky News TV.
- A full list of Official Emergency Broadcasters is available online at VicEmergency
Dargo High Plains Road
The Dargo High Plains Road is now closed until late Spring 2023.
Drainage and road improvement works will take place mid-to-late spring (subject to weather conditions), in preparation for the reopening.
The road is anticipated to be reopen to traffic late Spring 2023. Changes in weather conditions may impact the reopening date.
- Works include road formation upgrades, gravel re-sheeting, culvert, and drainage.
- It is anticipated that current weather conditions may delay the commencement of works and traffic management will be in place after Friday, 23 December while the remaining works are carried out.
- Heavy machinery is currently operating on the road. Please expect possible delays of up to one hour.
- Please expect minor delays once the road is open.
Bogong High Plains Road
Refer to the Department of Transport for the most up-to-date information on this road.
Bright Make it Bake it Grow it - Market
Howitt Park, Bright
2nd Saturday of each month
Soundshell Car Park and Riverdeck Car Park will be closed between 6:00am and 2:00pm until further notice.
Bright Fun Run - Trailfest
6am - 1pm Saturday 30th Septemer
There will be changed traffic conditions and a traffic marshall in place at the corner of Deacon Avenue & Zivan Court, between 6am - 12pm to allow for the safe crossing of children.
Harrietville Half Marathon
7.30am - 12.30pm Sunday 8th October 2023
There will be an increased number of runners/pedestrian traffic on the Great Alpine Valleys Rail Trail between Bright and Harrietville due to the operation of this event.
Freedom of Entry ceremony
Saturday 28 Ocotber 2023
Changed traffic conditions for Bright CBD
6.00am to approximately 12noon
- Ireland St will be closed to all traffic between the clocktower roundabout and Cobden St/Railway Ave roundabout
- Barnard and Anderson Sts will remain open
10.00am to approximately 12noon
- Park St will be closed between Bakers Gully Rd and Coronation Ave.
- Residential access will remain open
11.00am to approximately 12noon
- Bakers Gully Road between Park St and Ireland St will be closed periodically to allow the parade to pass through
- The roundabout between Cobden St and Railway Ave will be closed periodically to allow the parade to pass through
The V/Line bus stop in Anderson Street will be located on Gavan Street opposite Woolworths for the duration of the event.
Important Notice: Residents and visitors are reminded that all vehicles must be removed from Ireland Street prior to the closure.
Bright's Iconic Rod Run
Friday 10th - Sunday 12th November 2023
CHANGED TRAFFIC CONDITIONS FOR BRIGHT CBD
From 7.00am THURSDAY 9 NOVEMBER to 7.00am MONDAY 13 NOVEMBER 2023
Barriers will be installed in the following locations to manage traffic flow:
- Barnard Street at Camp Street intersection
- Wood Street at Anderson Street intersection
- Burke Street at Ireland Street roundabout (clocktower)
- Gavan Street roundabout
- No right turn from Gavan Street at Barnard Street intersection
- No right turn from Gavan Street at Anderson Street intersection
- No right turn from Gavan Street at Star Road intersection
- No right turn from Star Road at Gavan Street Intersection
- No right turn from Gavan Street to Wills Street Intersection
- Anderson Street
- Ireland Street
- Railway Avenue
- Cobden Street
Access to the CBD is as follows:
- Vehicles may turn left into Anderson Street from Gavan Street roundabout and continue through to Ireland Street only before exiting left into Cobden Street
- Vehicles may turn left into Ireland Street roundabout from Railway Ave and continue through to Anderson Street only before exiting left into Gavan Street at the roundabout.
- Vehicles may turn left into Barnard Street and left into Camp Street
- No right turns or u-turns are permitted in the CBD, barriers will be in place to control the flow of traffic.
- Parking in marked bays only. No parking on median strips, loading zones, or no standing zones. Strictly no parking in disabled parking spaces without the appropriate Accessible Parking Permit.
CBD roads will be closed for the following times as advised by police:
- 10.00pm Friday 10 to 12.00pm Saturday 11 November (Remembrance Day)
- 10.00pm Saturday 11 to 7.00am Sunday 12 November
- 10.00pm Sunday 12 to 7.00am Monday 13 November
CHANGED TRAFFIC CONDITIONS FOR PIONEER PARK PRECINCT/ CORONATION AVENUE
SUNDAY 12 NOVEMBER 2022, FROM 6.00am TO 2.00pm
Barriers will be installed in the following locations:
- Cobden Street at Pioneer Lane intersection
- Hawthorn Lane at Coronation Avenue intersection
- Pioneer Lane at Coronation Avenue intersection
ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION IS PROHIBITED IN BRIGHT CBD.
THIS IS A FAMILY-FRIENDLY EVENT. Refer to MAP
Important Notice: Residents and visitors are reminded that NO VEHICLES can be moved during the locations above after the stated road closure times, as this will prevent the event from commencing.
Tour of Bright
Saturday 2 December 7.15am - 1.30pm
Road Race Stage 1 - Gap Loop
Tawonga Gap Road will be closed to all traffic for safety reasons.
Further details will be added closer to the event operation date.
Road and Bridge Works
Council has a regular schedule of road and bridge management works to ensure the Alpine Shire's vital infrastructure is maintained, along with a number of major road and bridge projects—Contact Council's Asset Maintenance team for more information.
You can learn more about what is planned on the Regional Roads Victoria website at regionalroads.vic.gov.au or call the hotline at 133 778.