From time to time road works and/or large projects require the partial or complete closure of roads within the Alpine Shire.
This also applies to events held within the Shire. The information below outlines any upcoming road closures of which residents and/or visitors should be aware.
Visit VicRoads for all up-to-date road closures. Emergencies can quickly result in the closure of roads - before you travel, ensure your route is clear.
Use multiple sources to stay informed
- VicEmergency Hotline - freecall 1800 226 226
- VicEmergency app
- Facebook or Twitter (#vicfires)
- Tune in to ABC Local Radio, commercial and designated community radio stations, or Sky News TV.
- A full list of Official Emergency Broadcasters is available online at VicEmergency
Dargo High Plains Road
- Works include road formation upgrades, gravel re-sheeting, culvert and drainage.
- It is anticipated that current weather conditions may delay the commencement of works and traffic management will be in place after Friday, 23 December while the remaining works are carried out.
- Heavy machinery is currently operating on the road. Please expect possible delays of up to one hour.
- Please expect minor delays once the road is open.
- The current estimated completion date for the Dargo High Plains Road Upgrade Project is late April, 2023.
Bogong High Plains Road
Bogong High Plains Road is currently closed between Falls Creek Village and Mount Beauty due to a landslide. Access to Falls Creek Village is via Glen Valley only.
Refer to Department of Transport for the most up-to-date information on this closure.
Upper Ovens Roadworks
Roadworks will be carried out across a number of locations in Bright, Wandiligong, Harrietville and Buckland throughout February and March 2023.
Works include resealing, kerb and channel renewal, stabilised patching works, and gravel road reconstruction and re-sheeting.
The roads will remain open, but there will be potential traffic delays.
Impacted roads include:
- Back Porepunkah Road, Bright
- Showers Avenue, Bright
- Coronation Avenue/Cobden Street intersection, Bright
- Station Street, Bright
- Wilson Court, Bright
- Mountain Mist Drive, Bright
- Mount Porepunkah Road, Bright
- Back Germantown Road, Bright
- Morses Creek Road, Wandiligong
- Bells Gully Road, Wandiligong
- Shepheards Lane, Wandiligong
- School Road, Wandiligong
- Gillards Lane, Wandiligong
- Smithy Lane, Wandiligong
- Sidling Track, Wandiligong
- Dredge Hole Lane, Harrietville
- Feathertop Track, Harrietville
- Charlie Miley Road, Harrietville
- Cemetery Lane, Harrietville
- Grange Road, Porepunkah
- McCormacks Lane, Buckland
- Buckland Valley Road, Buckland
- Devils Creek Road, Buckland
Porepunkah Primary 150th Celebration
Saturday 25th March 2023, 9.30am to 3.30pm
Martley Street, Porepunkah will be closed to all traffic between Seamer and Nicholson Streets
Tuesday 28th March 2023, 1.30pm to 5.30pm
Mill Road, Bright will be closed to traffic
Local or emergency vehicles arriving at the road closure may continue through the closure as directed by the traffic marshalls.
Alpine 100 Ride - Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail
Tuesday 4th April 2023, 12pm to 1.30pm
Speed reduction in place on Great Alpine Road at Taylor's Gap.
Road and Bridge Works
Council has a regular schedule of road and bridge management works to ensure the Alpine Shire's vital infrastructure is maintained, along with a number of major road and bridge projects. Contact Council's Asset Maintenance team for more information.
Bogong High Plains Road and Dargo High Plains Road
The Bogong High Plains and Dargo High Plains roads are subject to seasonal closures.
Refer to VicRoads for the most up-to-date information on these roads.