From time to time road works and/or large projects require the partial or complete closure of roads within the Alpine Shire.
This also applies to events held within the Shire. The information below outlines any upcoming road closures that residents and/or visitors should be aware of.
Visit VicRoads for all up-to-date road closures. Emergencies can quickly result in the closure of roads - before you travel, ensure your route is clear.
Use multiple sources to stay informed
- VicEmergency Hotline - freecall 1800 226 226
- VicEmergency app
- Facebook or Twitter (#vicfires)
- Tune in to ABC Local Radio, commercial and designated community radio stations, or Sky News TV.
- A full list of Official Emergency Broadcasters is available online at VicEmergency
Anzac Day Services
Sunday 25 April 2021
10.30am to approximately 12.00pm
- Great Alpine Road closed between Standish Street and Albert Street / Lewis Avenue
- Clyde Street will be closed between Standish Street, Queen Street and Great Alpine Road
- Smith Street will be closed for a short period between the Myrtleford RSL Hall and Standish Street for the march
- A detour will be in place for all vehicles, please follow the signs. Note: the detour is not suitable for vehicle exceeding 50 ton, these vehicles will be required to halt for approximately 1 hour during the service.
- The V/Line bus stops on Great Alpine Road will be temporarily moved to the corner of Albert and Elgin Streets, in front of the Old School Museum, for the duration of the closure.
10.30am to approximately 11.45am
- Lakeside Avenue will be closed between Kiewa Valley Highway and Kiewa Crescent. A detour will be in place for all vehicles, please follow the signs.
- Hollonds Street will be closed
- Park Street will be closed for a short period between Kiewa and Tawonga Crescents for the march
Bright Make It, Bake It, Grow It Markets
Third Saturday of each month
Howitt Park, Bright
7.00am to approximately 2.00pm
- The car park behind the Sound Shell in Howitt Park will be closed on market days until further notice.
Great Alpine Road
VicRoads is improving the Great Alpine Road and providing a smoother and safer journey for all road users by undertaking:
- landslip prevention works
- essential maintenance works
Maintenance works will be at eight sites on the Great Alpine Road, totalling approximately 16km, between Harrietville and Hotham Heights. Preparation and asphalting works will start on 30 November 2020 and take approximately 3 weeks to complete (weather permitting). VicRoads anticipate sealing work will take place in February 2021 and take 4 weeks to complete.
Works to improve drainage, including culvert repairs and replacements on the Great Alpine Road will start in early 2021 and where possible will be coordinated with the sealing works to minimise impact.
You can find out more about what's planned on the Regional Roads Victoria website at regionalroads.vic.gov.au or call the hotline on 133 778.
Road and Bridge Works
Council has a regular schedule of road and bridge management works to ensure the Alpine Shire's vital infrastructure is maintained, along with a number of major road and bridge projects. Contact Council's Asset Maintenance team for more information.
Bogong High Plains Road and Dargo High Plains Road
The Bogong High Plains and Dargo High Plains roads are subject to seasonal closures.
Refer to VicRoads for the most up to date information on these roads.