When do I pay rates?
Annual valuation and rate notices are posted in July and reminder notices are issued prior to each instalment date.
Instalments are due on these dates:
- 30 September
- 30 November
- 28 February
- 31 May
Late or overdue payments will attract interest charges in accordance with the Local Government Act 1989. For more details, please refer to the reverse side of your rate notice.
Rate Relief - January 2020 Bushfires
Council has received $1.2m funding from the Victorian Government’s Council Assistance Fund. These funds have been made available to the six local government areas in the declared State of Disaster area and can be used by Council to waive part of the 2019/20 rates raised in accordance with the Local Government Act 1989.
Rate relief is intended to alleviate the financial hardship experienced by ratepayers who have lost property or significant business income due to the January 2020 bushfires.
Who will receive rate relief?
Council has approved the use of this funding to automatically waive one quarter of the rates levied for the 2019/20 financial year for properties covered by the following:
- Commercial / Industrial Differential Rate policy – non-vacant only
- Dinner Plan Special Rate
- Farming Differential Rate Policy – non-vacant, for commercial wineries / vineyards only
Council has also approved an automatic full waiver of annual rates levied for the 2019/20 financial year for all properties that have been directly impacted (burnt) during the bushfires.
All ratepayers identified above will be notified of their rate relief by mail. Letters will be posted during the first week of March 2020.
If you are having or are going to have trouble paying your rates please contact Council to discuss the options that are available to you. Our staff can help you to work out the best payment plan and will provide confidential advice.
How can I pay my rates?
- B-Pay – payment details are on your rate notice
- B-Pay View - Register to receive and pay your rates electronically
- By telephone: call 1300 276 468 to pay by Mastercard and Visa. Refer to rate notice for payment details.
- Credit card payment online
- Post Office – please take your rates notice to the Post Office
- In person - at any Alpine Shire branch office
- By mail - post to Alpine Shire Council, PO Box 139, Bright VIC 3741