Depending on where you live, there are certain things you need to remember when it's time to get your bin out for collection.
Properties across the Alpine Shire fall into either an urban or rural category for kerbside collection. The difference between these two categories is the frequency in which the bins are collected.
Urban properties currently receive a weekly waste collection and fortnightly recycling collection.
Rural properties receive a fortnightly waste and recycling collection.
To find out what can go in your recycling bin, click here!
To find out what can go in your general waste bin, click here!
To prevent nappy odour in your waste bin:
- Store your red-lid waste bin in the shade.
- Double bag your nappies.
- Dispose of any solid waste in the toilet before putting nappies into your red-lid waste bin.
- Use odour removing products such as odour removal crystals or bin fresheners.
Food Organics, Garden Organics
From July 2023, properties in the urban collection are will soon receive a new 240L green-lid Food Organics and Garden Organics bin, bench-top kitchen caddy and a 1 year supply of certified caddy liners.
We are committed to reducing our environmental impact as a community. Removing our organic material from landfill will reduce greenhouse gas emissions and our reliance on landfill. The new organics collection service will help you to make the most of your food and garden organics by turning it into things like mulch and compost that help grow crops that then feed us all.
It's time to put your bin out!
There are a few things you need to remember when it's time to put your bins out for collection.
- Put your bin out the night before collection day. Your bin cannot be out any earlier than 24 hours before collection.
- Bring it in when it’s empty (within 24 hours).
- Place your bin on the kerbside along the road, away from any obstructions (trees, poles, signs).
- Keep your bins spaced 0.50m apart.
- Make sure it faces toward the road (the handle should face your home).
- Don't overfill your bin - make sure the lid can close!
- Don't forget to make sure that you've sorted items into the correct bin so you don't get a contamination sticker!
If you're unsure of what items go in each bin, scroll up to read more or head to https://www.alpineshire.vic.gov.au/residents/waste-and-recycling/waste-a...