The Detox Your Home program is delivered by Sustainability Victoria to recover and divert toxic chemicals from landfill.
Safely dispose of your toxic household wastes to keep them out of our waterways, reduce the risk of poisoning and keep your home safe.
Mobile collections occur annually at various sites across Victoria.
Items accepted at Detox Your Home events
- Acids and alkalis
- Aerosol cans
- Cleaners – ammonia based
- Cooking oil
- Fire extinguishers
- Floor-care products and waxes
- Glues – water-based and solvents
- Nail polish and remover
- Paint stripper, thinner and turps
- Pharmaceuticals and cosmetics
- Photographic chemicals
- Rat poison
- Wood preservatives and finishes (oils and varnishes)
Garden and pool
- Herbicides and weed killers
- Insect spray/pesticides
- Lawn mower fuel
- Pool chemicals
- Brake fluid
- Car body filler
- Car wax
- Fuels – petrol, diesel, kerosene, other
- Transmission fluid
Products you find around your home labelled with the following symbols will also be accepted:
- Includes spirit of salt, bleach, vinegar and rust remover.
- Includes gas canisters / aerosols. Empty cans can be placed in your household recycling bin.
- Includes oven, drain, shower and glass cleaners.
- Medicines can be disposed of safely at your local pharmacy via the Returned Unwanted Medicines project.
- Includes liquid pool chlorine and pool salts.
How much you can drop off at a Detox Your Home event?
There is no limit on the volume of materials you drop-off, however the maximum acceptable weight or size of any single container is 20 kilograms or 20 litres.
Decanting is not permitted, so bring chemicals in disposable containers.