Plan and Prepare

Preparing for an emergency is everyone’s responsibility.


The Department of Health and Human Services is working around the clock with health services, the Commonwealth and international agencies to respond to the outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and to keep the Victorian community safe.

More information is available on the Department of Health and Human Services website.

Be Aware

Understand warnings on Vic Emergency and keep up to date with Fire Danger Ratings at least two days in advance. 

Planning and Preparing

Alpine Shire Council worked with the Alpine Resort Management Boards and the Alpine Community Recovery Committee to put together an emergency preparedness newsletter covering helpful resources, tips for preparing for an emergency, and key contacts.

Access the Alpine Preparedness Newsletter here.

The Australian Red Cross has been supporting people during times of disaster for many years and understands being prepared for bushfire, flood, cyclone and other disasters. Their site has some great tools for preparing, responding and recovering, including preparedness for elderly, chronically ill and those with a disability.

Build your own survival kit using the Red Cross survival kit checklist


Victoria State Emergency Service (SES) is the control agency for floods and storms in Victoria. SES is responsible for planning and managing a response if flooding or storms occur.

SES provides infomation on how to prepare for floods, including FloodSmart Action Guides for the Ovens Valley and Kiewa Valley.

The Myrtleford Flood Guide provides important information for residents of Myrtleford and surrounding areas, including information about flood warnings, preparedness and emergency checklists.

Council's Municipal Flood and Storm Emergency Plan outlines the responsibilities and roles of Council and other stakeholders in the case of flood and storm events in the Alpine Shire.


The SES Emergency Toolkit is a guide for preparing for and staying safe during a range of emergencies. SES also provides advice on how to prepare for storms.

In a flood or storm emergency visit the SES website for up-to-date information.

Council's Municipal Flood and Storm Emergency Plan outlines the responsibilities and roles of Council and other stakeholders in the case of flood and storm events in the Alpine Shire.

Fire Prevention

The Country Fire Authority (CFA) is the control agency for fires on private land in Victoria. DELWP is the control agency for fires on public land in Victoria.

The CFA website has a number of valuable tools to support you to understand your level of risk and to plan and prepare for fires.

CFA have developed Community Information Guides (formerly Township Protection Plans), which are a key source of information for the community and an important tool to emphasise the shared responsibility between the community, fire services and local government.

Council has worked closely with the CFA, DELWP and other agencies to develop a Municipal Emergency Management Plan to assist in mitigating risks associated with bushfire.

Key Actions for Property Owners and Residents

  • Clean Up: Property owners and residents are strongly encouraged to remove fuels such as dry leaves, twigs, and other debris from their gardens. Regular land and garden maintenance helps to significantly reduce the risk of ignition. 
  • Reduce Long Grass: Overgrown grass can act as a tinderbox during a fire, enabling flames to spread quickly. Property owners should mow lawns regularly to maintain a short grass height, which can act as a natural firebreak. 
  • Dispose of Waste Properly: Proper disposal of garden waste and debris is essential. Property owners and residents are encouraged to utilise the Food Organics, Garden Organics kerbside bin and Council's Transfer Stations to dispose of excess materials. Avoid piling up combustible materials, as they can become potential ignition sources. 
  • Community Safety and Responsibility: Bushfire preparedness is a collective effort that requires the participation of the entire Alpine Shire community. Failure to adhere to these responsibilities not only endangers individual property's but also puts the community at risk. 

Council will issue Fire Prevention Notices and subsequent penalties to property owners and residents who fail to act on their responsibility, with fines reaching up to $1923 under the Country Fire Authority Act 1958. 

CFA – How to Prepare Your Property 

Fire Prevention Notices

Council issues Fire Prevention Notices as deemed necessary to protect life and property from the threat of fire. The notice may be served to an owner or occupier of a property.

Fire Prevention Notices may specify:
• Parts of the land or property that need to be treated
• Treatment methods for particular vegetation or material
• Construction of a fuel reduced area
• Positions of objects on the land that need to be altered.

Why does Council issue Fire Prevention Notices?

Under the Country Fire Authority Act 1958, Council has a legal obligation to ensure the community’s risk associated with bush fire and grass fire is reduced. Fire hazards on private property can include any of the following:
• Dead, dry or long grass
• Fuel such as dead branches, piles of cuttings etc
• Wood piles placed too close to houses or fence lines
• Other combustible material.
Municipal Fire Prevention Officers (MFPO) have the power to enter properties to undertake inspections and to issue directional Fire Prevention Notices.


Council has developed a Municipal Heatwave Plan in partnership with other organisations to support the community in extreme heat conditions.

The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) issues heat health alerts which you can subscribe to on the Vic Health Website

Extreme heat can cause heat exhaustion, heatstroke and sometimes death. It is important to stay safe and check on others during extreme heat. The Victorian Government’s Better Health Channel has some great tips and advice on how to stay safe and cope in extreme heat.

Animals and Pets

Council plans for animals in their Municipal Emergency Animal Welfare Plan.

It is important when planning to include arrangements for your pets, horses and livestock so that you know what to do to minimise the impact in an emergency.

Ensure that you have the necessary food, caging, bedding, medication and transport if you are planning to relocate. If you have valuable bloodstock or pedigree papers it is wise to pack them with your family paperwork and photos. Further information can be found at Agriculture Victoria and RSPCA.

AED Locations in the Alpine Shire

There are a number of Automated External Defibrillator (AED) locations across the Shire. To view a list, click here.

Businesses and organisations are strongly encouraged to register their AED with Ambulance Victoria. Registering your AED with Ambulance Victoria will ensure it can be quickly located and accessed in a medical emergency to help save a life.

Why is it important to register an AED?

The Ambulance Victoria AED Register integrates with Triple Zero (000). If a person goes into cardiac arrest nearby Triple Zero (000) can ask callers to get the AED and talk them through how to use it in the critical minutes before paramedics arrive.

Learn more, register your AED and find registered AEDs on the Ambulance Victoria AED Register.

Power Outages

It is important to plan for power outage during days of extreme heat or cold. If your supply is interrupted contact 13 17 99 or visit Energy Safe Victoria to see if you need to enact your plan.

Council do not look after power supply issues.

Resources in Other Languages

Further Links to Help You to Prepare

  • The Victorian Government‘s Insure it. It’s worth it provides valuable information on insurance to help you to prepare financially for if you are affected by an emergency.
  • Deaf Emergency Information has important emergency information and videos in Auslan and written English, including information on bushfire, flood, storm and heat.

Community-led Planning

Community Resilience plays a vital role in ensuring that communities are prepared to respond and recover from disasters such as bushfires, storms and floods.

The strength and prosperity of any community, no matter how big or small, is enhanced by the resilience of its individuals and communities.

Council is committed to helping communities build resilience through providing information and support, and aiding recovery and preparation.

Council facilitates the Alpine Resilience Committee, whose membership is made up of representatives from local emergency and support agencies, community groups and community representatives.  Alpine Resilience Committee supports communities to understand the nature of shocks and disasters and to actively prepare, plan for and mitigate against the impacts of emergencies.

More information about planning for community led resilience can be found at:

Contact Council for information on your local community led resilience group.

Holiday and Camping Bushfire Safety

Always check the Fire Danger Ratings for your destination before you go and when you arrive, and listen to local radio. Make sure you have a fully charged battery.

When camping in the bush, fires should be treated with care. The risk of bushfire should not be taken lightly.

Visit Parks Victoria for information on travelling through or visiting bushfire risk areas and VicRoads for road closure information.

Rate this page