Event Permit Requirements

Accessible events 

An accessible event improves the experience for all people attending your event including people with a disability, families, carers, senior citizens and parents with prams. The Meetings and Events Industry of Australia has developed a guide in partnership with the Australian Human Rights Commission to assist those responsible for organising events to ensure they are accessible to all people.  

A few examples to consider are:

Transport - Maps showing most accessible routes, accessible parking options

Physical - Ramps, flooring, handrails, seating (adequate seating throughout event area or priority seating options), quiet zones, rest areas (for both people and assistance animals)

Sanitation - Ambulant toilets, easy access to water and waste facilities

​Signage - Clear signage at suitable heights. Good lighting throughout event space. Event maps that show quiet zones, seating areas, rest areas, shaded areas, ambulant facilities, first aid, etc.

Accessible Event: A Guide for Meeting and Event Organisers    

Accessible events guidelines and checklist (DHHS)  



If it is intended that liquor is to be sold or supplied at an event, then a liquor licence, or a variation to an existing licence, is required. The Victorian Liquor Commission request that applications are lodged at least 8 to 12 weeks in advance.  An alcohol management plan may be requested if applying for a liqour licence. This allows licensees or licence applicants to demonstrate that they have a strategy for the management of alcohol, its risks and map out the red line on the site. The Victorian Liquor Commission encourages all licensed premises to have a venue management plan in place. Refer to the Victorian Liquor Commission website for more information about what to include in your alcohol management plan. The alcohol management plan submitted to Victorian Liquor Commission will need to be presented to Council along with your redline map.

Victorian Liquor Commission - Apply for a Liquor Licence 



To ensure that animal welfare is considered and managed appropriately at events, organisers must make sure the animals involved in their events are chosen for their suitability and not subjected to injury, suffering, distress or excessive disturbance. Event organisers intending on having animals as part of their event will need to confirm they are meeting the RSPCA’s Five Freedoms for animals:  

  • Freedom from hunger and thirst by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour. 
  • Freedom from discomfort by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area. 
  • Freedom from pain, injury and disease by prevention through rapid diagnosis and treatment. 
  • Freedom to express normal behaviour by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind. 
  • Freedom from fear and distress by ensuring conditions and treatment that avoid mental suffering. 


Coronavirus (COVID-19) 

Event organisers are required to ensure that all activities undertaken throughout the planning and delivery of the event are in accordance with current COVID-19 requirements in place at the time of the event. Up to date information can be found on the Victorian Goverment's Coronavirus website.

There is currently no requirement to provide a CovidSafe Plan or any other documentation in relation to managing the Covid-19 risk at events.

Coronavirus (Covid-19) Pubic Health Advice


Damage to open spaces and infrastructure 

Event organisers are responsible for costs of reinstating open spaces to its best possible condition after an event. This also includes damages incurred by third parties, suppliers and any contracted service providers.

Event organisers are to report any damages to the Events Team or contact Council’s after-hours contact if urgent – 03 5755 0568.

All pegging into an open space will need to be permitted by Council and the event organiser is required to dial before you dig. No vehicles are permitted to drive on open spaces unless approved by Council.


Drinking water

Events must cater for the health and comfort of patrons. All venues (indoor and out) have a responsibility to make drinking water accessible and available to patrons. Drinking water is essential for sporting events, dance and music events and any events held in summer to prevent heat exhaustion and dehydration. Events serving alcohol are required to provide free drinking water as a condition of their liquor license.

Drinking water should be made freely available, or if not feasible, cost less than the lowest price of any other drink sold to patrons. The location of drinking water facilities must be clearly indicated via directional signage. To reduce waste via plastic water bottles, event organisers are to encourage patrons to BYO reusable water bottles.  

All outdoor event organisers are strongly encouraged to apply for use of the portable water stations, water carts or drink refill stations available from Alpine Shire Council (request from Events Team), the Myrtleford and District Landcare and Sustainability Group or North East Water.   

Myrtleford and District Landcare and Sustainability Group    

North East Water 



Commercial operators can fly drones AROUND an event if certain risk mitigation measures are in place, but are not permitted to fly directly above the event. Recreational operators are not permitted to fly drones in public spaces.

Using a drone for the purpose of capturing an event is considered a commercial drone operation therefore operators must be accredited and licenced to do so and follow the drone safety rules, also known as the 'standard operating conditions'. 

To operate outside these rules, additional CASA approval or permission may be required. 

CASA - Drones


Emergency Management Plan

Your emergency management plan should include any actions which are to be undertaken by the management team in case of an emergency or incident. Please consider the following and include your action response plan:

  • Inclement weather (wind, heavy rain, extreme heat, storms)
  • Emergency Meeting Point
  • Evacuation plan
  • Emergency communication protocol and method
  • Emergency management personnel (eg event coordinator, event safety officer, first aid officer)
  • Incident reporting process


Events calendar 

It is the responsibility of an event organiser to check availability of dates against other events taking place within the Alpine Shire. Alpine Shire Council takes no responsibility for event clashes or the like. 

Alpine Shire events calendar    

Visit Bright and Surrounds 


Event Management Plan

An Event Management Plan defines how an event will be executed. It addresses all the components of an event such as:

  • Event goals and objectives
  • Event details & schedule of all activities including bump in and bump out times
  • Detailed waste management plan & objectives
  • Internal & external permits
  • Event budget
  • Marketing and promotion
  • Communication
  • Traffic Management
  • Key Stakeholders
  • Food and drink vendors
  • Emergency Management

Small Scale Event Template / Large Scale Event Template


Fire danger ratings and total fire bans 

Events are not permitted to be held on days where the fire danger rating is Catastrophic within the Alpine Shire. Other restrictions on activities may be in place during total fire ban days or for events taking place in high risk areas during the declared Fire Danger Period. Relevant restrictions, fire danger ratings and total fire ban information is available from the Country Fire Authority (CFA).  

Country Fire Authority 



Any person operating or releasing fireworks must hold a current licence from WorkSafe Victoria and submit a Notification of intention to discharge fireworks prior to the event. Notification must be no less than 7 days prior to your display.

WorkSafe Victoria - Using fireworks | WorkSafe Victoria - Fireworks Discharge Notification


First aid 

The Alpine Shire is a regional area with limited resources. Event organisers cannot rely primarily on ambulance services, local medical centres or hospitals in the event of a medical emergency. Depending on the size, type and location of your event, you may be required to have a First Aid provider on site.

New regulatory requirements are now in place for First Aid in Victoria. Organisations and individuals contracted to provide First Aid services now require a First Aid licence issued by the Department of Health. 

Event organisers who engage First Aid services, must only use a licensed First Aid provider. A First Aid provider engaged to provide services at an event can provide proof of their licence by supplying a copy of their licence certificate.

The Department of Health has published a list of licensed First Aid Providers on its website. If the provider you wish to engage is not on the list, you can contact the Department of Health to check their status.

Engaging an unlicensed First Aid provider carries additional risk to public safety, and may affect insurance cover for events. Authorised Officers employed by the Department of Health may visit an event at any time to ensure that the First Aid provider in attendance is licensed.

First Aid Services - Department of Health

Depending on the size, type and location of an event, an event organiser may also require the services of an Ambulance Victoria. Ambulance Victoria (events@ambulance.vic.gov.au) should be emailed and informed of your event. For more information please refer to Ambulance Victoria website.


Food and drinks 

All food vendors must notify or be registered with their local government under the requirements of the Food Act 1984. Generally, it is the food vendor’s responsibility to seek approval individually. It is the event organiser’s responsibility to ensure that the relevant vendors have obtained appropriate approvals. If it is intended that liquor is to be sold or supplied at an event, then a liquor licence, or a variation to an existing licence, is required.  

Streatrader   -   Victorian Liquor Commission   


Gaming and raffles 

You may need to apply for a permit from the Victorian Gambling and Casino Control Commission (VGCCC) when conducting community and charitable gaming such as hosting a raffle. To determine whether you need a VGCCC permit please visit the link below. If you do not require a permit from VGCCC you may require a Local Laws permit to coduct a raffle on public land. 

Victorian Gambling and Casino Control Commission


Indigenous protocols 

Alpine Shire Council acknowledges the Dhudhuroa, Gunai-Kurnai, Taungurung, Waywurru and Yaitmathang and as the First Peoples and Traditional Custodians of the Alpine Shire.

The Alps are traditionally of great cultural and spiritual significance to our Shire’s First Peoples. The Events Team encourages event organisers to acknowledge First Peoples at their event by facilitating a Welcome to Country and Smoking Ceremony or opening their event with an Acknowledgement of Traditional Owners.

Welcome to Country ceremony is a cultural practice performed by Indigenous Elders or Traditional Custodians where visitors are greeted and welcomed, and traditionally offered safe passage through their lands. A Welsome to Country ceremony can only be performed on land which has a formally recognised Traditional Custodian.

To determine whether a Welcome to Country or Acknowledgement of Tradtional Owners is appropriate for your event, you can find futher information here.

The easiest way to find out who the formally recognised traditional owners are for an area is to consult the interactive map: Map of Formally Recognised Traditional Owners

Alpine Shire Acknowledgement of Traditional Custodians

Taungurung Recognition and Settlement Agreement Area

The Taungurung people occupy much of central Victoria including the land to the south of the Ovens River. Taungurung Land and Waters Council (TLaWC) is the corporate representative and 'face' of the Taungurung people and provides opportunities for engagement in cultural events by facilitating Welcome to Country and Smoking Ceremonies. 

Contact TLaWC if you are interested in booking a Welcome to Country or Smoking Ceremony. If a Welcome to Country or Smoking Ceremony is not achievable for your event, we encourage you to open your event with an Acknowledgement of Country – see below for the Taungurung Acknowledgement of Country.  

Taungurung Recognition and Settlement Agreement Area  

Taungurung Acknowledgement of Country 

Contact: Taungurung Land and Waters Council 


Inflatable Structures

Jumping castles or inflatable land-borne devices are a popular addition to parties, school fetes, sporting activities, community festivals and events.

If operated correctly, inflatable devices can be a safe and an enjoyable activity.

The following safety issues should be considered:

  • Wind speed
  • Adequate anchoring
  • Training
  • Fall zones
  • Barriers and fencing
  • Electrical hazards

You must understand your occupational health and safety duties when operating land-borne inflatable devices. For more information on inflatable structures go to worksafe.vic.gov.au.



All public events taking place on Council-managed land or facilities must hold the appropriate level of insurance before it will be permitted to proceed. 

Public Liability Insurance with an Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) approved insurer with a minimum of $20,000,000 coverage is required, along with the Alpine Shire Council and other stakeholders, such as VicRoads or Parks Victoria, named as interested parties on the certificate of currency.

Event Permit Terms and Conditions 


Marketing & Communications

A plan that documents the marketing, public information and information sharing that occurs before and during an event. This plan should also include a resident and business notification letter if your event is impacting roads, amenties or noise will be coming from the event, including music, fireworks, crowds, amusement rides or announcements.


Event organisers need to be considerate of the amenity of the area surrounding the event. Noise coming from the event from music, fireworks, crowds, amusement rides or announcements can cause a disturbance to neighbouring residents and businesses and other members of the public wanting to enjoy an open space. Measures such as effective crowd control, location of loudspeakers or amusement rides and timing of events can improve the control of noise.  

Noise is subject to requirements of the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 and the Environmental Protection Act 1970. Loud noise is not permitted before midday or after 10pm. Under the State Environmental Protection Policy (Control of Music from Public Premise) No. N-2, if your outdoor event involves the use of loud noise, you must monitor your sound levels to ensure they don’t breach 65 decibels (dB) for outdoor venues, when the measurement point is located outdoors and 55 dB when located indoors. For indoor venues, this is five dB during the day/evening and eight dB during the night. The impact of excessive noise on neighbouring residents and businesses also needs to be addressed. Some event organisers will be required to consult with affected residents and businesses and ensure appropriate notice is given prior to the event. A noise management plan may be required.  

The plan is to outline mechanisms to ensure compliance with State Environment Protection Policy (Control of Music Noise from Public Premises) No N-2. A noise management plan for a music event should address the following: 

  • the type of entertainment act 
  • limitation on stage orientation 
  • speaker height, arrangement and orientation 
  • noise barriers 
  • noise reduction measures at source 
  • noise measurement and complaint response 
  • complaints response telephone line 
  • complaints response procedure 

Environment Protection Authority 


Power supply

In some locations, it is possible to use mains power supplied by Alpine Shire Council. If you need this (and it is available at your event location) the Events Team will provide you with the details to arrange access. The event organiser can then source a qualified electrician to manage power requirements during your event. The event organiser is responsible for ensuring any independent operators comply with the appropriate health and safety regulations. All electrical equipment must have current 'test and tag' checks. 


Risk Management Plan 

The development of a Risk Management Plan is considered best practice in event management, and it is a process that is widely implemented and utilised across the community, business, and emergency management sectors. The Risk Management Plan should include: 

  • event details 
  • stakeholders 
  • consequence and likelihood descriptors 
  • the risk matrix analysis 
  • risk register 
  • action response plans, which should include the initial and treated risk descriptors 

It is important to monitor event risks throughout the event and document any inappropriate treatments (which will show as injuries or disruption to plans). In response to any documented incidents, changes should be made to the Risk Management Plan and its implementation as the event progresses. Mitigation measures should be put in place upon the identification or realisation of a risk to prevent it happening again during the event. 

After the event, a debrief of the event, including a review of the Risk Management Plan should be carried out by the event manager. At the debriefing, improvements for future events are identified and successful elements should also be identified. The review process should be completed prior to when the stakeholders gather to plan the next event.  

Events in alpine areas will often be subject to inclement weather, and ways to mitigate such weather conditions should be included in a Risk Management Plan. High winds,snow and heavy rains can occur from time to time along with Code Red fire days, and these must be considered. The Alpine Shire Council does not provide wet weather alternatives.

Victorian Guidelines for Planning Safe Public Events  

Risk Management Plan (template) 



Security may be required for your event. You will need to consider crowd control and safety, service of alcohol (if applicable) and safety of infrastructure.  

Victorian Guidelines for Planning Safe Public Events 



If you intend to place advertising signage on a footpath, roadside or on Council land outside of the event precinct, a Portable Advertising Signage Permit may be required. Directional signage, such as non-promotional signage informing the public of the location of parking or entry gates, may require Council and/or VicRoads approval.  

Application for Footpath Trading, Footpath Dining, Raffles and Portable Advertising Signage


Site plans

Site plans and maps may be used by all stakeholders during the planning for and management of the event, including gridded maps, structure layouts, access and egress routes. Plans and maps must include: 

  • Activities 
  • Amenities (including existing toilet facilities and any additional facilities and disability access) 
  • Course locations 
  • Crowd control infrastructure 
  • Drinking water access 
  • Emergency access/egress 
  • Food outlets 
  • Infrastructure and equipment (temporary and permanent) 
  • Licensed areas 
  • Liquor and merchandise stalls 
  • Parking 
  • Pedestrian and vehicle access routes 
  • Power and/or generator/s 
  • Seating 
  • Smoking and non-smoking areas (if applicable)
  • Staging 
  • Waste and recycling bins (located in pairs on the map)
  • Water location point/s 

Course Plans for event activities are also required if you are cycling, running etc outside your primary event village.



Under Victoria’s Tobacco Act 1987, smoking is prohibited in all enclosed workplaces and certain public spaces where members of the public gather and may be exposed to second-hand tobacco smoke. 

Recent amendments to the Act have extended the areas where smoking is banned across Victoria. Smoke-free areas include:

  • premises such as restaurants, cafés, take-away shops and licenced premises, including courtyard dining areas and footpath dining
  • food fairs
  • other organised outdoor events, including community or street festivals
  • entrances to indoor children’s play centres, public hospitals and registered community health centres, and certain Victorian Government buildings
  • the grounds of, and entrances to, childcare centres, kindergartens, preschools and primary and secondary schools
  • outdoor recreational areas, including playground equipment, skate parks and sporting venues during under-age sporting events
  • outdoor areas of public swimming pools
  • patrolled beaches
  • enclosed workplaces
  • train stations, tram-stop platforms and tram and bus shelters
  • under-age music or dance events.

More information including fact sheets, guidelines and signage is available from the Department of Health and Human Services.

Department of Health and Human Services 


Temporary structures 

Structures may be permitted in open spaces, in accordance with Alpine Shire Council’s Event Permit terms and conditions. Event organisers are required to provide the dimensions of all structures that will be used for an event. Council will advise of any further permits you may require such as an Temporary Occupancy Permit (TOP) and/or a Place of Public Entertainment (POPE) permit. A site meeting may also be requested prior to the event. 

Prescribed Temporary Structures are defined in the Building Act 1993, Section 57 (1) (a) Building Regulations 2018, Regulation 207.

Structures include:

  • tents, marquees, booths, and prefabricated buildings with a floor area greater than 100 square metres
  • seating stands for more than 20 people
  • stages or platforms (including sky borders and stage wings) exceeding 150 square metres in floor area which are used for the purpose of providing public entertainment.



Event organisers are responsible for ensuring adequate toilet facilities are available for event participants. If public toilets are not available or not adequate, event organisers need to make arrangements to hire portable toilets. You can use the link below to calculate how many toilets you may need for your event. If your event takes place in a temporary structure such as a marquee, the number of toilets provided must comply with the ABCB Temporary Structure Standard 2015.

Provision of toilets 


Traffic and Pedestrian Management plan 

A Traffic and Pedestrian Management Plan is to be prepared in consultation with the Alpine Shire Council and, if applicable, VicRoads and Parks Victoria. The plan must conform to Australian Standard AS1742 and be prepared by a qualified traffic management company engaged to provide traffic management services for your event. Your traffic and pedestrian management plan is to include, where applicable:   

  • locations of diversion and closure signs, road closures, barricades, traffic controllers, marshals and appointed police personnel 
  • positioning of electronic variable message signs (VMS)   
  • time and date for installation and dismantle of infrastructure   
  • timing of road closures and re‐openings   
  • implementation and management of closures and openings   
  • method of communication 
  • traffic controller details 

It is a requirement that all road closures are advertised locally. If your event involves a road closure and/or impacts the public transport network, the Alpine Shire Council is required to advertise these details. 

Once finalised by a licenced traffic management company, please upload your plan HERE


Venues and facilities 

Alpine Shire has a wide variety of indoor venues and outdoor spaces available for booking and hire for functions, meetings, conferences, training, exhibitions, performances and other activities. Council’s open spaces are managed by the Events Team and indoor venues are managed the Facilities Team or appointed Committee of Management. Fees may apply for the use of some facilities. For details of all spaces, their facilities and how to book, view the website or contact Council on 03 5755 0555.

Alpine Shire Facilities - Book a facility


VicEmergency warnings 

VicEmergency is a centralised website for Victorians or those visiting Victoria to find emergency information and warnings. You can also access preparedness and recovery information related to emergencies. The warning level is based on severity, conditions and the likelihood that the emergency could impact on the community, so the first warning issued could be an Emergency Warning - the highest level. Alpine Shire events are not permitted to be held at times of a ‘Emergency Warning’, ‘Prepare to Evacuate / Evacuate Now’ or ‘Warning (Watch and Act)’. Event organisers should be aware of and regularly monitor the VicEmergency information leading up to and during their event. 



Waste management  

Council recognises that events generate waste – waste that could be avoided, reduced, reused, recycled correctly or composted. As part of the commitment to decreasing the impact of this waste on the local community and environment, a Waste Wise Guide for Events has been produced. The Guide outlines waste management requirements for events receiving Council support and for those being held on Council-owned or managed land and facilities. 

The Waste Management requirements include:

  • Completing a waste plan as part of the event permit application
  • Avoiding single use plastic and products
  • Recycling right
  • Maintaining a litter free event

Refer to the Waste Wise Guide for Events for more information, tips and ideas to reduce waste.

If your event requires additional waste management resources such as extra bins or servicing of permanent infrastructure, please contact the Events Team

 Waste Wise Guide for Events


Work health and safety 

Event organisers have a duty of care to provide a safe environment in which staff, volunteers, performers and contractors can work. The provisions made for people working at your event will depend on its various components. Some of the issues you may need to consider include: 

  • handling of power, gas, and other hazardous materials 
  • supplying ear protection for people working in noisy areas 
  • operating equipment and machinery and whether licensed operators are required 
  • supplying sunscreen and other personal protective equipment for people working at an outdoor event 
  • the preparation of safe work method statements (SWMS) and job safety analyses (JSAs) and/or obtaining them from contractors 
  • providing drinking water for staff and volunteers working at the event 
  • providing adequate training to safely carry out assigned tasks at the event such as handling money, moving heavy items, managing and directing traffic and crowd management. 

Refer to WorkSafe Victoria to check what your legal responsibilities are.  

WorkSafe Victoria 


Working with children 

If your event involves children, you will need to consider your obligations under the Working with Children Act 2005. Development of a child protection plan is recommended.  

Working with Children Check Victoria 


Rate this page