Register your Business

If you are planning to open a new business, whether it be a business that sells, prepares or handles food, provides accommodation, a hairdresser/beauty parlour services, conducts skin penetration activities (ear piercing and tattooing), or operates a caravan park, there is legislation in place that requires the registration of these businesses with Council.

Registration commences the day that you are approved and issued with your certificate of registration. All registrations issued expire on 31 December each year.

An application to renew registration must be submitted before the current registration expires. The application fee that is paid with the first registration covers the initial inspections of the premises and approval of the plans.

Premises registered under either the Public Health and Well Being Act 2008Food Act 1984 or Residential Tenancies Act 1997 are required to meet minimum standards for construction, fit out and general operation. Before purchasing an existing business, there are a number of steps that you should take.

Further information

Anyone contemplating opening a new business should also make contact with the following organisations. They may be able to provide you with additional assistance and let you know if any other approvals, registrations or licences will be required. This list is not exhaustive but may be of assistance.

Within Council: 5755 0555 | email:

  • Statutory planning - for town planning advice
  • Building - for any building/fire compliance requirements
  • Local laws - for advice in relation to advertising signs on footpaths and street furniture
  • Rates office - to discuss what rates and charges are likely to apply

Other contacts:

Consent to Disclose Information 


Cost of Registration

You pay a fee to register your business. You can find the cost of registration in the Alpine Shire Council Budget 2020-21.

Selling or Handling Food

Food Premises Information

The Victorian Food Act 1984, along with the Food Standards Code and the Food Safety Standards, cover all businesses that handle, pack, prepare and sell food. Therefore all businesses, regardless of their size, that are involved with food, must be registered, and must comply with the requirements of the legislation.

Food Premises Classification 

  • Class 1: Handles, processes or serves ready to eat potentially hazardous food to groups, most vulnerable to food related illness (including hospital patients, nursing home residents or children in long day care)
  • Class 2: Supplies potentially hazardous unpackaged foods (e.g. meat, dairy etc) which need correct temperature control throughout the food handling process, including cooking and storage, to keep food safe (such as restaurants or take away foods)
  • Class 3: Supplies or handles unpackaged low risk foods or pre-packaged potentially hazardous foods which simply need refrigeration to keep them safe (such as milk bars or bread baking) and some community events
  • Class 4: Premises that only sell pre-packaged low risk food and certain low risk occasional activities e.g. a simple sausage sizzle (sausages, bread, sauce and onion only). Retailers, community groups and warehouses selling low risk packed and prepacked foods (such sausages cooked and served immediately, cooked cakes, jams and honey). 

Food Safety Supervisor Qualifications and Requirements

More information about Food Safety Supervisor Qualifications and Requirements.

Information for Temporary Food Premises / Stalls / Mobile Premises and Community Food Selling Events

Temporary food stalls are sites that are not permanently fixed, where food is sold, prepared or handled. These include stalls and tents at fetes, farmers markets, craft markets, shows, festivals or other short term events.

Mobile food premises are vehicles such as vans, trailers or carts from which food is sold.

Streatrader allows registration and notification of temporary and mobile food business to the customer’s principal council.

Operators of temporary and mobile food premises - including community groups need to access the website and proceed to complete the application online. The relevant Council will be notified. The fees and charges will be advised via this website.

The Victorian Department of Health has developed a short video and interactive website to help community groups understand and meet their food safety obligations when selling food to raise funds in Victoria.

The video provides an informative insight into community fund-raising activities while the website covers a range of topics, including community group obligations under the Victorian Food Act 1984.

How to Register Temporary and Mobile Food Premises

  1. Login to the Streatrader website.
  2. Answer questions about your food handling activities to determine your food safety risk classification and fees to pay.
  3. Submit your form on Streatrader.

A - Z of Food Safety

View an A - Z of Food Safety.

Prescribed Accomodation

The Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2008 requires registration of all prescribed accommodation premises. Many prescribed accommodation premises also operate a kiosk and as such registration under the Food Act 1984 may also be required.

If you intend opening or buying a prescribed accommodation premises, please contact Council’s Environmental Health Officers.

Health Premises (Hairdresser, Beauty, Piercing or Tattooing)

Personal care and body art industries guidelines.

The principle purpose of this set of guidelines is to assist those involved in the personal care and body art industry to comply with the Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009 by providing information on:

  • How infection can be associated with the procedures employed in the industry, and
  • Precautions to protect clients and employees.

For more information please read the Health premises guidelines.

Contact Council for application forms to register or transfer registration of a health premises.

Caravan Parks

The Residential Tenancies Act 1997 requires registration of all caravan parks. Many caravan parks also operate a kiosk and as such registration under the Food Act 1984 may also be required.

All caravan parks are required to have in place an Emergency Management Plan. It is advisable to obtain a copy of this plan prior to taking over so that you are fully aware of your obligations under that plan.

If you intend opening or buying a caravan park, please talk with Council’s Environmental Health Officers.

Domestic Animal Business

When you open a kennel or other domestic animal business, you need to register with council.

Rate this page