Rates and Valuations FAQ

Find answers for a range of frequently asked questions related to Rates and Valuations.

  • Can I get a pension concession on my rates?

    You can get a concession on your rates for your principal residence when you have a valid Pensioner Concession Card.

    You can find out which concessions you may be eligible for.

  • How do I apply for a concession?

    Please fill out the application form and visit Council’s Customer Service staff in Bright, Myrtleford or Mount Beauty. Please bring your Pensioner Concession or Department of Veteran Affairs Card.

  • How do I change my address?

    Let us know if you change your contact details with our online change of address form.

  • How do I learn more about the Fire Services Property Levy?

    The Fire Services Property Levy is included in your rate notice and is collected by Council on behalf of the Victorian Government.

    Where multiple parcels of land are used to operate a Single Farm Enterprise (SFE), you may only be required to pay the fixed charge once, by applying for the SFE exemption.

    Please click here to download the form and return to Council.

    For more information visit the State Revenue Office Fire Service Levy information

  • How do I object to my valuation?

    You can object to your valuation within two months of the date of issue of the valuation and rate notice. This can be done online via the Valuer General Victoria online portal or by completing an objection form and returning it to Council.

    Please note that rate payments must be made as they appear on the notice until a decision has been made in relation to the objection.

    A valuation representative will contact you to discuss your objection, and you will be informed in writing of the decision.

    For more information please refer to the back of your rate notice.

    Click here for more information from VGV or to view a Fact Sheet.

  • How do I receive my rates via email?

    Sign up to Ezybill to receive your rates notice via email.

    By signing up for Ezybill you will have the convenience of receiving your quarterly rates notices via email and have access to your notices through the Ezybill portal from any electronic device 24 hours a day, making payment both easy and convenient.

    Simply register for this easy option to manage your payments, save paper and reduce waste.

    Visit alpineshire.ezybill.com.au to sign up.

  • I am having trouble meeting my rates payments - what are my options?

    Financial Hardship

    If you are having or are going to have trouble paying your rates please contact Council to discuss the options that are available to you. Our staff can help you to work out the best payment plan and will provide confidential advice.

    Council has a Financial Hardship Policy that explains what assistance is available to pensioners and ratepayers experiencing financial hardship and how applications are assessed. Copies of the policy are available here or in hard copy at our Bright office or any of the our Library branch offices located in Bright, Myrtleford and Mount Beauty.

    Rates Hardship Application Form is available - please print this form, complete it and return it via email to info@alpineshire.vic.gov.au or post to:

    Alpine Shire Council

    PO Box 139

    Bright VIC 3741

    You can also return it in person at one of our Customer Service Centres located at the Bright Council Office, Mount Beauty Library or Myrtleford Library.

    Financial Counselling Services

    Financial counselling is a free and confidential service offered by community organisations, community legal centres and some government agencies.

    National Debt Helpline is a not for profit Government Service providing confidential financial counselling for Victorians experiencing hardship. You can contact the National Debt helpline to request a referral to see a financial councillor at your local financial counselling service.

    Ph: 1800 007 007

    National Debt Helpline https://ndh.org.au

  • I have overpaid my rates. How do I request a refund?

    You may request a refund of a payment which has been made to Council.

    Refunds can be made for the following transactions:

    • Overpayment of rates, animal registration, fees
    • Transfer of rates payment, or animal registration payment to the correct account

    Processing a refund request may take up to 14 calendar days from the date Council receives a completed application form.

  • What value is used to calculate my rates?

    Rates are calculated using the Capital Improved Value (CIV).

    CIV includes the site value of your property. CIV and Site Value (SV) are not added together to calculate your rates.

  • Why do I get charged a general/residential rate when my property is located in a farming planning zone?

    Council has rating policies that are not tied to planning zones. 

    To qualify for the farm rate your property needs to be greater than eight hectares and demonstrate it is a bona fide farm, regardless of which zone the property is located in. 

Rate this page