As a result of the serious and widespread impacts of the recent bushfires, Alpine Shire Council and Bushfire Recovery Victoria have coordinated the formation of an Alpine Community Recovery Committee.
The Alpine Community Recovery Committee (CRC) represents bushfire-affected communities across Alpine Shire, ensuring that local know-how and expertise are front and centre in longer term recovery planning.
Coordinated by Alpine Shire Council and Bushfire Recovery Victoria (BRV), the Alpine CRC is an essential link between communities, Council and other support organisations to assist with recovery and planning into the future.
CRC representatives are vital in providing a conduit for community voices to be heard in recovery planning.
The representatives were selected following a month-long public Expression of Interest period, followed by interviews with panellists from BRV and Council.
Contact your local CRC representative on email@example.com.
Your Alpine Community Recovery Committee representatives are:
Myrtleford and surrounds
Fiona Nicholls - Chair
Bright and surrounds
Harrietville and surrounds
Steve Belli - Deputy Chair
Why a Community Recovery Committee?
The establishment of a Community Recovery Committee is a critical ingredient in supporting community-led recovery, so that affected communities can lead and drive their own recovery processes.
To achieve this, the Committee will:
- engage and consult with affected communities to better understand their recovery needs and listen to their ideas. This includes providing hard to reach groups with opportunities to express their views
- develop, implement and regularly update a Community Recovery Plan that addresses short, medium and long-term recovery priorities
- keep communities informed of recovery issues, plans and actions arising from the Committee’s work and celebrate successes
- advise Alpine Shire, Bushfire Recovery Victoria and other funding bodies on the allocation and prioritisation of funding for community projects and initiatives
- advocate for community recovery needs with relevant agencies
- assist with proposals to attract funding and resources to support community recovery projects
- undertake, coordinate and monitor community recovery activities
- maintain effective two-way communication on the community recovery process with Alpine Shire Council (and Council’s Recovery Committee for the whole municipality), Bushfire Recovery Victoria and other important stakeholders
- share experiences and learning with other Community Recovery Committees around Victoria
- contribute to evaluation processes that will improve future disaster recovery efforts.