Apply for an Event Permit

Event Permit Application and Supporting Information

On receipt of your event permit application and depending on the various elements of your event, the Development Officer (Events) may request the following information to form part of your overall event plan:

  • Site plans and mapsA plan that documents the common maps to be used by all stakeholders during the planning for and management of the event, including gridded maps, structure layouts, access and egress routes
  • Risk assessment and management plan: A plan that identifies all risks to health and safety of the event and a plan to address measures to be implemented to eliminate or reduce identified risks  
  • COVIDSafe plan: A plan that outlines your actions to help prevent the introduction and spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) at your event.
  • Insurance details

Supporting Documentation

Events that have a significant impact on the public and environment, may be asked to provide the additional supporting documentation, as follows:

  • Runsheet: Information including program, set-up and pack-down times
  • Stakeholder management plan: A plan that documents stakeholders considered and consulted in event planning. Stakeholders should be listed and any issues raised, how they will be addressed
  • Marketing, media and communications plan: A plan that documents the marketing, public information and information sharing that occurs before and during an event including resident and business notifications   
  • Crowd management plan: A plan that documents the process for managing the crowd, including appropriate staffing levels, communications, signage, barrier selection, access, egress and emergency exits
  • Alcohol management plan: A plan to demonstrate the strategy for the management of alcohol and associated risks  
  • First aid plan: A plan than demonstrates the first aid provision at a planned event. It should include the number of first aiders, location of first aid posts and equipment available 
  • Noise management plan: A plan that outlines mechanisms to ensure compliance with the State Environment Protection Policy requirements
  • Security plan: A plan that identifies and addresses security risks
  • Emergency management plan: A plan that documents the actions to be undertaken by the management team in case of an emergency or incident  
  • Evacuation plan: A plan that documents the process of evacuation that may be required, including the decision-making process for an evacuation and the routes and methods to enact an evacuation
  • Traffic management plan: A plan that details the measures taken to manage traffic and road closures, mitigating risk to vulnerable areas including aspects for roads, traffic, pedestrians and parking
  • Transport management plan: A plan that documents how stakeholders will be transported to, from and around the site

Your application may be withdrawn if you are unable to satisfy the requirements as outlined by the Development Officer (Events).

Alpine Shire Council Permits and Approvals  

You may need one or more of the following Alpine Shire Council permits and approvals depending on your event requirements:

Other Permits and Approvals

You may need other permits and approvals that fall outside of the Alpine Shire Council from the following authorities:


Alpine Shire Council Permits and Approvals

Event permit

If you would like to organise an event in any of the Alpine Shire’s public spaces, you may need an event permit. Permits ensure public safety and amenity in public spaces and assist in the sustainable management of our parks and gardens.

You will need an event permit if any of the following conditions apply:

  • your event requires a booking
  • you require access to drop off equipment
  • you plan to erect infrastructure e.g. a marquee
  • your event is catered for by an external supplier and/or if liquor will be sold 
  • you require changes to normal traffic conditions
  • you are charging participants a fee

Apply for an event permit

Events risk management panel approval

Events deemed to be rated as high risk will be assessed by the Events Risk Management Panel. The Panel is made up of representatives from Council, Victoria Police, Ambulance Victoria, Country Fire Authority (CFA), State Emergency Service (SES) and Alpine Health. Other agencies may be involved depending on the events proposed use of land/asset such as Parks Victoria, VicRoads and Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP). The Development Officer (Events) will be able to let you know if your event is required to be assessed by the panel.

Film and photography permit

Permission is needed for professional filming or photography taking place in public spaces within the Alpine Shire Council.

Film guidelines 

Film permit application

Place of public entertainment permit

A Place of Public Entertainment is required for events that include:

  • Places with an area of greater than 500 square metres, which is substantially enclosed and where admission is charged. (Exemption may apply for an event or activity which is organised and controlled by a community-based organisation and the number of persons in the place at any one time during the event or activity does not exceed 5,000.)
  • Class 9b buildings with an area greater than 500 square metres and/or prescribed temporary structures.

See Section 12: Place of Public Entertainment and Temporary Structures

Planning permit

If an event is to be conducted on a site that is not in compliance with the relevant planning scheme requirements, then you may require a separate planning approval. You are encouraged to call Council’s Planning Team on (03) 5755 0555 or email to determine if your event needs this type of approval.

See Section 2: Planning

Portable advertising signage permit

If you intend to place advertising signage on a footpath, roadside or on Council land outside of the event precinct, a Portable Advertising Signage Permit will be required. 

Directional signage such as non-promotional signage informing the public of the location of parking or entry gates, will require Council and/or VicRoads approval.

See Section 10: Footpath Trading

Streatrader registration

All food vendors must notify or be registered with their local government under the requirements of the Food Act 1984. Generally, it is the food vendor’s responsibility to seek approval individually. It is the event organiser’s responsibility to ensure that the relevant vendors have obtained appropriate approvals.


Temporary occupancy permit

A Temporary Occupancy Permit is required for events that include:

  • tents, marquees or booths with a floor area greater than 100m square,
  • terraced seating (seating stands) for more than 20 persons, and/or
  • prefabricated buildings exceeding 100m square other than ones placed directly on the ground.

See Section 12: Place of Public Entertainment and Temporary Structures

Works/occupation on Council land approval

Approval is required for events that impact or take place on Council land, including public roads, carparks and driving oversized/over-mass vehicles. Approval will form part of the event permit application. You may be asked to provide Traffic Management Plans that conform to Australian Standard AS1742 as part of the approval process.

Other Permits and Approvals  

Ambulance Victoria

Ambulance Victoria strongly encourages all event organisers to consider possible Occupational Health and Safety issues with regards to their event, the general safety and wellbeing of the event’s participants and the safety of both the local and broader communities. The Ambulance Victoria Events team will conduct a risk assessment of your event to establish the most appropriate level of response for an event and if applicable develop a Health Emergency Management Plan.

Ambulance Victoria

Alpine Community Plantation (ACP)

Any public or private, organised or group activity held on Alpine Community Plantation (ACP) land will require an ACP Events Permit.

Alpine Community Plantation

Country Fire Authority (CFA) Victoria

An event taking place during the declared Fire Danger Period must comply with all fire restriction laws. Certain events with a large number of attendees in one location and/or taking place in remote areas such as National Parks may also have to consult with the Country Fire Authority (CFA) to determine appropriate emergency management plans in the event of a fire.

Events may require a CFA permit if planning to use fire in the open air during the Fire Danger Period or on a day of Total Fire Ban. 

Country Fire Authority Victoria

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP)

Any event taking place within a State Forest or certain Crown land locations may need to apply for a DELWP event permit.

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Goulburn-Murray Water (GMW)

Any events held on or near GMW waterways require an Event Permit. In the Alpine Shire this applies to Lake Buffalo and the surrounding recreation areas.

Goulburn-Murray Water

North East Catchment Management Authority (NECMA)

Works and activities in, under, on or over the bed and banks of designated waterways in Victoria require a NECMA Works on Waterways Permit. 

North East Catchment Management Authority


Any event involving live music, sound recordings (including background music) and/or music videos, may require a OneMusic Australia licence to cover the public performance copyright.

One Music

Parks Victoria

Any event taking place within a Parks Victoria's park, reserve and waterways is to apply for a Parks Victoria event permit.

Parks Victoria

Public Transport Victoria (PTV)

If you are organising an event which is likely to have an impact on public transport services, then you are required under Victorian legislation to notify PTV.

Public Transport Victoria (PTV)

Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR)

Liquor Licencing (temporary or ongoing) is required at events where alcohol is served. The Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulations (VCGLR) request that applications are lodged at least 8 to 12 weeks in advance.

Events involving gambling such as raffles for community or charitable groups may also require a VCGLR permit.

Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation

Victorian Government Public Events Framework (COVID-19)

Event organisers for public events are required to register their event and submit documentation based on attendees and risk factors to help meet their safety obligations and responsibilities during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.  

Victorian Government Coronavirus

Victoria Police

A Victoria Police Highway Permit is be obtained by anyone wishing to conduct a foot or bike race or similar (including rolling road closures) on a Victorian road. Applications must be made two months prior to the collection date. 

Victoria Police


Any event impacting a VicRoads-managed road or needing an exemption from Road Rules (e.g. road race or parade) must apply for a VicRoads permit.

Signage placed on a VicRoads-managed road will require approval from VicRoads or in some cases a Memorandum of Understanding.

VicRoads‐managed roads within the Alpine Shire include:

  • Great Alpine Road
  • Gavan Street
  • Delaney Avenue
  • Tawonga Gap Road
  • Prince Street
  • Myrtleford‐Yackandandah Road
  • Myrtle Street
  • Standish Street
  • Happy Valley Road
  • Kiewa Valley Highway
  • Bogong High Plains Road
  • Mt Buffalo Road
  • Buffalo River Road



WorkSafe Victoria

Any person operating or releasing fireworks must hold a current licence from WorkSafe Victoria and submit a Notification of intention to discharge fireworks prior to the event. Notification must be no less than 7 days prior to your notified display.

WorkSafe Victoria  


Rate this page