Pets and Animals

Impounded animals

Search the Lost Animals Register.

Animals that are at large can often cause a nuisance to other people and may be impounded by the Ranger.

Animals that trespass on private property can be impounded by the owner. Once impounded the owner must contact the Ranger so as they can be moved to the Council pound.

If you have contained a dog after hours, or believe your dog has been impounded after hours, contact Council's After Hours number on 5755 0568 to arrange pick up of the dog. Impounded animals can only be released during work hours.

Impounding fees

Animal Impounding Fee Sustenance Fee per day
Small Stock (sheep, goats, ets) $22.00 $5.50
Registered Dogs and Cats $80.00 $11.00
Unregistered Dogs and Cats $160.00 $11.00
Large Stock (cattle, horse, etc) $100.00 $11.00

Small and large stock may also have the cost of cartage and advertising added. Stock will be held for a minimum of 7 days in the pound. If they are not claimed within this period they will be taken to the market and sold.

All dogs and cats over the age of 3 months will have to be registered before release from the pound. Dogs and cats will be held for a minimum of 8 days in the pound. After this period suitable animals will be given away to be rehoused. Unsuitable animals will be euthanased.

Pound location

The Council's only pound is located at the Bright Depot, Churchill Avenue Bright.

For larger animals you need to contact the Ranger for the pound location.

If you suspect your animal has been impounded, contact Council on (03) 5755 0555 during office hours. You will then be asked to identify the animal. If the animal is yours you will be required to sign a release form and pay the appropriate impounding fee at the Shire Offices. Your animal will then be collected from the pound by the ranger and reunited with you at the Shire offices.

Dog and cat registrations

All dogs and cats over the age of three months are required to be registered in the Alpine Shire. Registration is due by 10 April each year.

This year Council introduced lifetime tags for the first time, which means there’s now no need to change tags every year. Registration can also now be paid with BPAY, and tags will be mailed out to you.

Since 1 May 2007, all cats and dogs registered within a Council for the first time must be microchipped prior to registration.

Registration forms are available HERE

Registration tags must be on a dog's or cat's collar at all times.

Registration does not become effective until payment has been received.

Dogs and cats found wandering at large may be seized and detained by Council staff. The owner will be required to pay a release fee plus the registration fee (if unregistered) before the animal is returned.

Dogs and cats not reclaimed by their owners within eight days may be sold or destroyed.

Failure to register your dog or cat can result in a $317.00 fine.

To request an application form for a dog / cat registration to be mailed to you, please contact Council during business hours on (03) 5755 0555.

Pet registration fees

Fee Dogs Cats
Maximum fee $82 $82
Reduced fee $32 $32
Transfer fee from another Shire (for first year only - proof required) $7 $7
Maximum pensioner fee $42 $42
Reduced pensioner fee $17 $17

* Pension Concession Card holders are eligible for 50% discount on above fees (Health Care Card not eligible)

Reduced fees

Reduced fees apply to the following categories:

  • Desexed animals (proof of sterilisation is required)
  • Animals that are microchipped (before 10/04/2013)
  • Animals over 10 years old
  • Animals kept for breeding by the proprietor of a domestic animal business conducted on a registered premise
  • Animals registered with an Association approved by Council ie. Feline Control Council or Victorian Canine Association (proof of current registration must be supplied in each case)
  • Dogs kept for working stock
  • Obedience trained dog(s)
  • Guide Dogs

Wandering dogs

Dogs at large can create many problems. All dog owners are required to keep their dogs contained within their property, or be in effective control whilst outside of their property.

Wandering dogs have the potential to form packs with other dogs and can become aggressive. Owners may not be aware of the potential damage dogs can cause when in a pack.

The penalty for a dog at large between sunrise and sunset is $221. The penalty for a dog at large from sunset to sunrise is $295.

If you have problems with wandering dogs you can call the a Council Ranger during business hours on (03) 5755 0555. For after hours emergencies phone (03) 5755 0568.

Barking dogs

If you have a problem with a barking dog in your area try talking to the owner as your first option. If you make a complaint to the Council an authorised officer will ask you whether you have attempted to discuss the problem with the owner before taking any action. This gives the owner the opportunity to resolve the problem first. They may not be aware of the problem as it may occur when they are not home.

If you are unable to resolve the problem you can lodge a complaint with Council. You will be required to keep a log of the barking for at least one week. An authorised officer will then speak to the owner of the dog to suggest ways to reduce the barking. The officer may issue a notice to comply on the owner. If the barking persists after this you will need to keep a log for a further 7 days. After this the officer may issue an infringement notice on the owner.

Reasons why dogs bark

  • The dog may be bored, lonely or frustrated due to a lack of company, exercise, or mental stimulation. If left in the backyard for long periods, barking may be an enjoyable way for dogs to pass the time. Dogs are also social, pack animals, and may suffer from anxiety when alone.
  • To seek attention, especially if they are bored or lonely. Even though their barking may result in scolding, dogs may still prefer negative attention to no attention at all.
  • To alert or warn you of something it thinks might be a threat. This could include barking at animals, the postman, noises, or the movement of people or vehicles outside the property.
  • Some dog breeds such as hounds and terrier type dogs may be more inclined to bark.
  • Due to fear (eg of thunder, fireworks, or other loud noises).
  • Due to medical reasons (eg fleas, allergy, or illness).
  • Due to physical reasons (eg if hot, cold, hungry or thirsty).

How to solve the problem

  • The owners can take the dog on more frequent walks (once or twice daily) and include it on family outings. Even if a dog has a large yard, dogs still need to socalise and experience the sounds and smells of walks outside.
  • The owners can make the backyard environment more interesting. Provide the dog with toys and a large raw marrow bone to chew. Ensure the dog has fresh water, a balanced diet, and adequate shelter from weather extremes.
  • The owner can take the dog to obedience classes. Regularly practicing what is learnt can provide mental stimulation for the dog.
  • If the dog is barking at passers by, owners can block its view of movement outside the property with solid fencing, shade cloth or hedging. Alternatively, if the source of provocation is a human (eg children teasing the dog), try to discuss the problem with them.
  • Owners should make sure the dog is in good health, by taking it to the vet for a check up.
  • Undertake dog training - the approach taken will depend on the reason for the barking.

Cat trap hire

Cat traps are available for hire to residents having issues with cats frequenting their property or causing a nuisance.

Under Section 23 of the Domestic (Feral and Nuisance) Animals Act 1994 you may trap a cat if it is found trespassing on private property.

Any cats trapped may be impounded by calling the Ranger during the hours of 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday on (03) 5755 0555. Trapped cats will not be picked up during the weekend or on public holidays.

It is the reponsibility of the person conducting the trapping to ensure the cat has sufficient water and protection from extremes of weather and predators while in the trap, and that it is not left in any circumstances which would lead to cruelty (as defined under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986).

Any cat traps picked up by the Ranger will be impounded as per the Domenstic (Feral and Nuisance) Animals Act.

Cat traps are available free of charge from Council's Customer Service Centres in Bright, Myrtleford and Mount Beauty. A deposit of $50 is payable, refundable on return of the trap.

It is the hirer's responsibility to return the trap in good condition. If not the hirer will be liable for any necessary repair or replacement costs. The hired trap is available for up to two weeks at a time.

Domestic Animal Management Plan

The Alpine Shire Domestic Animal Management Plan 2017-2021 takes into account the needs of pet owners and non pet owners, animals and other relevant sections of the community.

It seeks to balance these needs by providing direction on the key issues that need to be considered in the management of animals in the Shire.

It also ensures Council and residents comply with the Domestic (Feral and Nuisance) Animals Act 1994 and the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986.

Download the Domestic Animal Management Plan here

Keeping animals in residential zones

Local laws apply to keeping certain animals in residential zones without a permit from Council. Restrictions apply on the type and number of animals permitted to be kept in residential zones.

Agricultural animals and livestock such as horses, pigs, roosters and goats are not permissable at residential properties without a permit.

Local Law No. 5 - Amentiy can be accessed here.

subscribe Latest Updates by Email Sign Up Now
Powered by